Sunday, April 27, 2008

How to fix your situation - see civilian Doctors

How can you watch after yourself and help yourself?

How can someone who is in such a controlled environment do anything to pull him or herself out of the circle of unfairness?

VERY CAREFULLY, and unfortunately it will take time and money.

It is almost impossible to control your military life once you have been deemed a troublemaker. (And I will be right there with you soon enough).

But some important keys to remember - which I don't follow very well - is that this is a fight for your future and the future of your family. It is very hard not to get emotionally wrapped into the big business of political bull crap, and it is hard to keep your mind on the big picture when you are tired and in pain.


So, now I need to practice what I preach.

Your commander is not your friend, but he/she is also not your enemy.

That person works for the government and because of that, they will do what is the best thing for the government. DON'T forget your commander has a family and they have to eat too. He/she is not going to go to bat for your butt unless you have evidence that they should. Learn how to read regulations. Officers live within the world of regulations, and if you can use those, you have someone on your side - even if it is privately.

Concerning your unit and your past friends: it is not you against them war. IT will feel like it, but they are in the same environment you are and they are VERY scared that this type of thing will happen to them one day especially if they help you. So they are not being mean when they abandon you, they are also fighting for survival. If you start feeling abandoned by your old buddies, let them know you know how they feel and you do understand. Then watch out for other soldiers who have nothing to lose and who are natural troublemakers. They may then try to be your friend. DO NOT fall for this. They will only bring you down farther. You must just accept the fact that when you fight for your rights, you become an island in your little part of the world. Don't let scavengers become part of your team.

You are going to have to fight this one alone. Get over it. BUT, when I say alone, I don't mean totally alone. There are some few places on the Internet that will offer help. USE THEM! And I am going to write down everything that is happening to me, and how it goes along the way. USE this information to your benefit.

Whining and complaining is not going to get you anywhere. YES I have been doing that lately. Hell, I hurt so badly sometimes that is all I have. I am sure I will do it more - just learn to recognize whining compared to presenting your case and try to control the whining. Document everything that way you don't have to whine. You can present your evidence in a controlled manner.

So here is some of the plan you need to take....

A civilian Doctor is going to cost and arm and a leg, so you need to make sure you find a "sponsor" while you are fighting this. Sponsors can be Mom, Dad, distant relative, etc. I know some soldiers are so far gone in finances that paying for individual care is next to impossible. So, for those who are not so bad off... take action now. Get your own medical records with a Dr off post.

Yes, I know medical expenses are high. BUT, even in medium size cities there are always one or two doctors who are reasonable when you don't have insurance.

When you call a Drs office, ask what the charge would be to see the DR without insurance. Tell them the injury that you want to be seen for. Don't go into details. If like SPC Town you have hearing lose, or a brain injury, say those things. This is not the Dr to evaluate you for PTSD or to tell your whole story too. Once you get into the office, explain you are hurt and you need an evaluation just for those conditions that occurred during the time you are fighting. Believe it or not, a lot of Drs are so nice to people without insurance, they really do try to get in as much as they can in one visit. Tell them you only want evaluation for the injuries you requested. Don't tell them exactly why, you do not want their findings influenced good or bad. You just want results.

(Ask the Dr what other test you need to substantiate your injuries. I am paying the co-pays for an MRI, a neurologist, an ultrasound, a counselor, and a full blood work up. Yes, it is going to get expensive. I will be out over $2,000 by the time I am done, and that does not count the time I have away from work.)


After you get your results, and / or clinical notes, take these with you to a psychological counselor - this is who you want on your side.

Find a pastoral counseling group in your town. Most of these only run about $50 per visit, and maybe they will give you a really good deal if you tell them your situation. Show them your medical results and ask them to evaluate you for a personality disorder for at least 7 visits. Hey, if nothing else a little bit of time on the couch never hurt anyone. Remember, this is a civilian DR - YOU OWN THESE records, not the military, so no one has to know the results unless you tell someone.

Whatever you do, and I cannot stress this enough - don't whine. I have been very guilty of that recently, and I too have to stop. I found someone on my side and I will be on your side. Ask me questions and I will try my best to find the answers.

One last thing for today - VA representatives are not just for those who have been discharged. I am not discharged, and one is helping me. In fact I have found a VA career counselor who is giving me ideas on how to keep my career together during this mess.

Find one that you trust. I have found two who are both great! They are both older crusty retired enlisted guys who know what they are talking about.

If you find one you don't like, find another one who is one your side. Just like any good businessperson or politician, you need to surround yourself with people who will help you, not bring you down.

Thank GOD I found the ones I did.

Good luck. It is going to be a long hard road.

No comments: